Our mission is to participate in the worldwide effort to reduce maternal mortality in Africa, specifically by improving conditions for childbirth and through surgical treatment and prevention of obstetric fistula in African women.
- TO DEVELOP awareness and prevention programs to reduce the incidence of fistula.
- TO OFFER medical and surgical treatment to women living with obstetric fistula.
- TO ASSIST in the physical, psychological and social rehabilitation of women who have been treated for obstetrical fistula.
- TO PROVIDE training to African and Canadian healthcare professionals in order to reduce maternal mortality and to treat fistula.
- TO INCREASE awareness in Canada about maternal health issues in African countries.
SEE OUR STRATEGIC PLAN 2011-2016 HERE (link to the French version)
Obstetric fistula is caused by a lack of proper obstetric care during difficult, prolonged labour and childbirth. It is an abnormal communication between the vagina and the bladder and/or rectum, causing urinary or fecal incontinence.