Reduce the prevalence of obstetric fistula in Africa, by improving conditions for childbirth and through surgical treatment.
- TO DEVELOP awareness and prevention programs to reduce the incidence of fistula.
- TO OFFER medical and surgical treatment to women living with obstetric fistula.
- TO ASSIST in the physical, psychological and social rehabilitation of women who have been treated for obstetrical fistula.
- TO PROVIDE training to African and Canadian healthcare professionals in order to reduce maternal mortality and to treat fistula.
- TO INCREASE awareness in Canada about maternal health issues in African countries.
SEE OUR STRATEGIC PLAN 2011-2016 HERE (link to the French version)
Obstetric fistula is caused by a lack of proper obstetric care during difficult, prolonged labour and childbirth. It is an abnormal communication between the vagina and the bladder and/or rectum, causing urinary or fecal incontinence.